Tuesday, May 27, 2014

DIY Sister Paula Armor Tutorial Part Two

Part two is going to focus on the corset.  You do not have to do part one before part two.  They can be done interchangeably.  For the corset, you need your measurements.  I decided to do an underbust, but really, you can do whatever you want.  I measured my chest (underneath breast area), my hips (which is where I want the corset to stop), and the distance between those measurements.  Then, I measured from one side, to the other, across the front, so I know how big my front pieces need to be.  Divide that in half.  Basically, it came down to the sketch below.


However, in hindsight, I actually think it would be better to do a duct tape cast of your waist, and use that to make your pattern, as mine is a bit big in the waist area.  Also, I'm thinking worbla will give a better effect, but hindsight is 20/20, ya know?  Anyway, on to how I did it.

Next, use your sketch as an outline for cutting the pieces out of newspaper.  You only need to cut one front and one back.  Just make sure you cut two of each out of the foam.


Trace.  Cut out of foam.


Next, there is some decorative detail that needs to be added as dimensional pieces.  I measured my pieces, then decided how many inches apart I wanted the decorative bits to be.



Cut those out of newspaper as well.  Then out of foam.  You will also need a 1/2 inch border.  Cut that.  Make circles that will fit in the bulbous end of the decorative bits, and cut out 24 (or enough to have one in each bulbous end).




Now, glue all the decorative bits down.


I used elmers glue.  However, it took forever to dry.  So, I think next time I will use hot glue instead.  Up to you, though.  Next, you want to attach fabric to the back of each piece.


Now, hot glue your pieces together at side seams.


Now, glue a piece of fabric to the entire piece.  This will help with stability.


Now, sand off any hot glue that seeped up onto the front of your corset.  Then, 10 glue coats and prime using plastidip.  I, once again, use one coat white, one coat black.  Then, I painted it black, to make sure all the nooks and crannies get coated, and the sides.



For some reason I did not take a picture of the all black with the edges painted.  Go me.  At this point, I remembered that I needed some way to attach it to myself.  So, using some scrap material (brown suede), I cut two pieces the length and width I needed, and added stabilizer.


Fold and iron down your seams, then stitch.




Hot glue to your back.


Make sure you paint these as you paint the corset.  Since I did the black coat already, I painted them black before moving on.  Next, I used a gunmetal gray metallic and painted the entire thing.


Do multiple coats until you can't see brush strokes.  I then did layers to create texture, making the paint lighter and lighter in color.  Don't do full coats, but rather, almost dry brushing.



Then use black and use a dry brush technique to age it.


Next, you need to add eyelets to the fabric portion in order to lace it up.  Measure it out, then mark.  I did 1 inch increments.


If you don't have a eyelet punch, and eyelet setter, go get some.  It makes things so much easier.  Punch your holes, and set your eyelets.




Now, all that's left is to lace it up and shape it.  What I did was lace it onto my dressform, over my costume, and apply heat.  Lace a bit tighter.  Repeat.  Then, leave it and let it cool.  I'm positive that wonderflex or worbla would work much better, but I've yet to try these products yet.  I will someday!


Until next time, keep cosplaying!  Any questions, comments, or request, leave them below!


No comments:

Post a Comment